In this article, we will compare two prominent universities, Michigan State University (MSU) and Marquette University, to help prospective students make informed decisions about their education. We will look at various factors, such as costs, admissions, academics, diversity, and outcomes, to provide a comprehensive comparison.
Michigan State University (MSU) is a public research university located in East Lansing, Michigan. Founded in 1855, MSU is known for its strong commitment to research and innovation. With over 50,000 students and more than 200 academic programs, MSU offers a diverse and comprehensive learning experience.
MSU Costs & Tuition
As a public university, MSU offers lower tuition rates for in-state students compared to out-of-state students. For the 2021-2022 academic year, in-state undergraduate students can expect to pay approximately $14,460 in tuition and fees, while out-of-state students will pay around $39,766. Financial aid is available, with around 67% of students receiving some form of aid.
MSU has a competitive admission process, with an acceptance rate of 71%. The university typically looks for students with a GPA of 3.45-4.0 and an SAT score between 1130-1320. The application deadline for the Fall 2022 semester is February 1, 2022.
MSU Degrees Offered
Michigan State University offers a wide range of degree programs at the undergraduate, graduate, and professional levels. The most popular majors at MSU include Business, Engineering, Social Sciences, Biological and Biomedical Sciences, and Communication and Journalism.
MSU has a strong academic reputation and is known for its research-intensive focus. With a student-faculty ratio of 16:1, the university provides an engaging learning environment with ample opportunities for undergraduate research and hands-on experiences.
MSU is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive learning environment. Approximately 63% of the student body identifies as white, while the remaining 37% represents various ethnic and cultural backgrounds. The university also has a significant international student population, with students from over 130 countries.
The student body at MSU is composed of over 50,000 students, including around 39,000 undergraduates and 11,000 postgraduates. With more than 900 student organizations on campus, there are plenty of opportunities for students to engage in extracurricular activities and make connections with their peers.
MSU’s sprawling 5,200-acre campus is known for its picturesque landscape, abundant green spaces, and impressive facilities. It houses 27 residence halls, a modern recreation center, state-of-the-art laboratories, and numerous dining options.
Notable MSU alumni include NBA Hall of Famer Earvin “Magic” Johnson, former US President Gerald Ford, and Pulitzer Prize-winning author Richard Ford.
According to U.S. News & World Report, MSU ranks #86 in National Universities and #35 in Top Public Schools.
MSU has a strong track record of graduate success, with an overall graduation rate of 81%. The average starting salary for MSU graduates is around $50,000.
Marquette University Overview
Marquette University is a private, Jesuit Catholic university located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Founded in 1881, Marquette offers a strong emphasis on teaching, research, and service. With more than 11,000 students and over 80 undergraduate majors, Marquette provides a well-rounded education rooted in Jesuit values.
Marquette University Costs & Tuition
As a private university, Marquette’s tuition rates are higher than those of public institutions. For the 2021-2022 academic year, undergraduate students can expect to pay approximately $45,350 in tuition and fees. Financial aid is available, with around 89% of students receiving some form of aid.
Marquette University Admissions
Marquette has a selective admission process, with an acceptance rate of 82%. The university typically looks for students with a GPA of 3.5-4.0 and an ACT score between 25-31. The application deadline for the Fall 2022 semester is December 1, 2021.
Marquette University Degrees Offered
Marquette University offers a wide range of degree programs at the undergraduate, graduate, and professional levels. The most popular majors at Marquette include Health Professions, Business, Engineering, Social Sciences, and Communication and Journalism.
Marquette University Academics
Marquette has a strong academic reputation, with a commitment to teaching excellence and research. The university has a student-faculty ratio of 14:1, offering a personalized and engaging learning experience.
Marquette University Diversity
Marquette is dedicated to fostering a diverse and inclusive learning community. Approximately 67% of the student body identifies as white, while the remaining 33% represents various ethnic and cultural backgrounds. The university also has a significant international student population, with students from over 60 countries.
Marquette University Students
The student body at Marquette is composed of over 11,000 students, including around 8,500 undergraduates and 2,500 postgraduates. With more than 300 student organizations on campus, there are plenty of opportunities for students to engage in extracurricular activities and make connections with their peers.
Marquette University Campus
Marquette’s urban campus is spread across 93 acres in downtown Milwaukee, featuring modern facilities, residence halls, and numerous dining options.
Marquette University Alumni
Notable Marquette alumni include NBA player Dwyane Wade, journalist and television host Chris Farley, and former Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker.
Marquette University Rankings
According to U.S. News & World Report, Marquette ranks #83 in National Universities and #61 in Best Value Schools.
Marquette University Outcome
Marquette has a solid track record of graduate success, with an overall graduation rate of 82%. The average starting salary for Marquette graduates is around $53,000.
MSU vs Marquette University Cost Comparison
When comparing the costs of attending MSU and Marquette University, there are significant differences due to the public vs. private nature of the institutions. In-state students at MSU can expect to pay around $14,460 in tuition and fees, while out-of-state students pay approximately $39,766. In contrast, Marquette’s tuition and fees are around $45,350 for all students. However, both universities offer financial aid, with a higher percentage of Marquette students receiving aid (89%) compared to MSU students (67%).
MSU vs Marquette University Admissions Difficulty
Both MSU and Marquette have competitive admissions processes, with MSU having an acceptance rate of 71% and Marquette at 82%. Both universities typically look for students with high GPAs and test scores, indicating that admissions difficulty is relatively comparable between the two institutions.
MSU vs Marquette University Academic Difficulty
MSU and Marquette both have strong academic reputations, with an emphasis on research and teaching excellence. The student-faculty ratios at both universities are similar, with MSU having a ratio of 16:1 and Marquette at 14:1. This suggests that students at both institutions can expect a challenging and engaging academic environment.
MSU vs Marquette University Outcome Comparison
Both MSU and Marquette boast strong graduate outcomes, with overall graduation rates of 81% and 82%, respectively. However, Marquette graduates tend to earn slightly higher starting salaries, with an average of $53,000 compared to MSU’s $50,000.